Job Description :
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
Responsible for the administration of safety programs at all AFP locations. Plan, develop, implement and coordinate safety programs to prevent or correct unsafe working conditions. Review, evaluate, and analyze work environments and safety programs and procedures to control, eliminate, and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical or ergonomic factors. Conduct inspections and enforce adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals.
1. Develop, implement, analyze, monitor and revise policies and procedures for the organization’s safety program to fulfil the mission and strategic goals of the organization while complying with local, state and federal laws and accreditation standards related to safety. Maintain, monitor and apply knowledge of current policies; Oversee and insure compliance with all state workers compensation, OSHA, DOT, EPA, OSHCON, TCEQ, NFPA, local, state and federal regulations; and industrial processes to prevent or correct unsafe working conditions. Maintain or update emergency response plans or procedures.
2. Establish safety audit guidelines and monitor their effectiveness. Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance. Inspect specified areas to ensure the presence of fire prevention equipment, safety equipment, or first-aid supplies. Evaluate adequacy of actions taken to correct OSHA violations.
3. Develop, conduct or coordinate safety training or education programs in areas such as safety laws and regulations, hazardous condition monitoring, and use of safety equipment. Coordinate "right-to-know" programs regarding hazardous chemicals or other substances. Develop new-employee safety orientations presentations. Maintain Learning Management System (LMS) to store training programs. Oversee all Safety Data Sheets (SDS) ensuring compliance with OSHA standards. May establish and coordinate safety committees.
4. Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine causes and preventive measures. Interview employees to obtain information about workplace incidents. Report or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections, or environmental testing. Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials.
5. Administer Workers Compensation Program at all AFP locations. Manage Third Party Administrators (TPA) for Workers’ Compensation claim handling and approval process. Develop or maintain post-accident medical monitoring and return to work programs for employees, coordinating with Human Resources on leave of absence and Return-to-work or Transitional work issues. Review physicians' reports, and conduct worker studies to determine whether specific instances of disease or illness are job-related. Compile, analyze, and interpret statistical data related to occupational illnesses and accidents. Assist preparing documents to be used in legal proceedings.
6. Make recommendations for and participate in external audits (OSHCON, fire hazards, etc.). Conduct or direct testing of air quality and noise levels to verify compliance with health and safety regulations. Confer with professionals to assess safety risks and to develop ways to manage issues and concerns. Recommend process and product safety features that reduce employees' exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards.
7. Maintain liaisons with outside organizations such as fire departments and equipment vendors so that emergency responses can be facilitated. Monitor alarm and sprinkler systems in all locations. Create local teams and notification procedures. Develop and implement Fire Evacuation processes, procedures and maps for all locations ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and local laws. Conduct fire drills, and inspect fire suppression systems and portable fire systems to ensure that they are in working order.
8. Prepares and reviews specifications and orders for the purchase of first-aid, safety and personal protection equipment, ensuring that proper features are present and that items conform to health and safety standards.
1. Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
2. Comply with and enforce all safety policies, practices and procedures.
3. Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
4. Perform other duties as assigned.
Provide limited supervision to others through motivation, direction, review and feedback of assigned tasks. Receives very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; work is usually quite independent of others; operates within division or department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) or equivalent; and eight plus year’s related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record-keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, and government regulations pertaining to personal injury, property damage, vehicle accidents and other risks is required. Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions is required. Job requires giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. Job requires being pleasant with others and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude. Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks. Job requires knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects. Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Job requires the ability to speak clearly so others can understand you and the ability to identify and understand the speech of another person. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk. The employee is occasionally required to lift; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must have manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This job requires occasional overnight travel (up to 20%) by land and/or air.
Disclaimer: Although AFP has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, AFP reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of AFP, at any time, with or without advance notice.